Thursday, September 17, 2009

R E S P E C T

RESPECT


Why is this world so horrible at showing respect?

Smokers throw their cig. butts on the ground or out their car windows-some still lit. Or my favorite: they stand right outside the entrance to a "non-smoking" restaurant and then blow their nasty smoke in your face. They need to show respect for those of us that get sick from their habit. We need to show respect in return. That is why I always smile when I pass the cloud-filled room that they all cram into in large airports. C'mon, it is funny to see.

Then there are the angry drivers. The rude people. The sassy kids. The power trip bosses. The immature children. The ignorant. It goes on and on.

I just don't understand why society doesn't try harder to be more respectful.
Oh, I'm not perfect -whatsoever.

So today was a rough one. Teaching is an all or nothing job. For me, it's everything. I spend way much too time in my classroom. (I love it there!) I worry about my students (more than my own kids sometimes). I go in on the weekends. I stay up late worring about lessons, tests, activities, emailing parents...on and on.
My DH (dear hubby) gets annoyed as do my 2 sweet kids. I can't help it. I'm so freaking conscientious. I have high expectations on myself.

My class this year is really a wonderful group of kids. Ah, but it's September and it's that time again. They are testing me. They are trying to see just what this new teacher is made of. Well guess what? I have feelings too! This learning curve is frustrating to say the least; however, I'm learning so much about myself. In order to receive respect, I have to give it.

Have you ever had someone just completely step on you? Not literally, but verbally or emotionally? It is awful. Today was a rough one. I just want a little respect. Is this too much to ask? It seems it is.

Tomorrow is another day. I will begin it by praying that I, along with those I interact with, can show respect and be proud to do so.

I can't change circumstances or people. I can only change my response. I'm going to try. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment